Watermelon Birthday Cake
It's not a cake by traditional standards, but kids (and even adults) will love the refreshing layers of watermelon on this decorative dessert. It is perfect for summertime birthdays and for parents who want to serve low-sugar treats.Ingredients
1 oblong watermelon
Channel knife (or vegetable peeler)
Birthday candles and mint for garnish
- Choose a long watermelon with very straight sides for this carving.
- Wash watermelon and pat dry.
- Remove rounded ends.
- Cut 2 "-thick horizontal rings from center section of watermelon, for desired cake height.
- Use a channel knife to carve one design into the rind of each ring. If you cannot find a channel knife, you can use the top of a standard vegetable peeler.
- Cut each ring into 6 even wedges.
- Arrange wedges from different rings to create a varied cake design, building to desired height.
- Top with berries and whipped cream, birthday candles and fresh mint leaves for garnish.