The bright flavors of dill and spring onion in a light creamy sauce make this a delicious spring dish and the baby vegetables are the perfect complement. The end result is exactly what I was looking for when I developed it. Don't turn your nose up at the cream of mushroom soup -- it's a quick way to a great sauce and, since it comes in fat free versions, there's no need for guilt.
Hands-On Time: 30 minutes
Ready In: 50 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
1 whole chicken-cut up
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 soup can milk*
1/4 cup snipped fresh dill
4 spring onions (with tops) sliced thinly
2 T olive oill
8 oz. baby carrots-peeled, tops left on
8 oz. baby zucchini
8 oz. new sugar snap peas l
- Combine onions and dill and set aside 2 T. Stuff remaining mixture under the skin of the chicken pieces. If the skin is stuck, use the handle of a wooden spoon and slip it between the meat and skin to loosen it.
- Heat a large oven-proof skillet on medium-high and add olive oil. Brown the chicken pieces skin side down and turn over.
- Mix soup and milk well and pour over the browned chicken. Cook in the oven, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Steam baby vegetables until crisp tender and brightly colored; about 15-20 minutes for the carrots and 10-15 for the zucchini and peas. Keep an eye on them so they don't overcook.
- Serve chicken and vegetables with the sauce and sprinkled with the remaining onions and dill.
Any fat percentage is fine.