Sweet Potatoes in Orange Cups
Each year at Thanksgiving time, thousands of pounds of sweet potatoes are cooked and consumed. There's no need to do that same-old same-old, though -- this recipe is delicious and eye-appealing, making it a real hit at your Thanksgiving Day table.
Hands-On Time: 20 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour 20 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
2 large sweet potatoes - about 2 pounds
3/4 cup packed brown sugar - divided
1 stick butter
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
5 large oranges
1 cup chopped pecans – divided
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Scrub potatoes and prick with the tines of a fork in several spots.
- Place in oven on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour. Reduce heat to 350ºF.
- Let potatoes cool slightly and remove peel. Mash with a fork in a large bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup brown sugar, butter, salt, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg and 3/4 cup pecans. Stir well, making sure butter melts.
- Zest one orange and squeeze the juice from it. Add zest and 1/4 cup juice to sweet potato mixture and blend well.
- Cut remaining oranges in half and remove insides, leaving 8 outer shells. Rinse and dry each shell and trim as needed so they will sit flat, cut sides up, on a baking sheet.
- Combine remaining pecans and brown sugar and sprinkle over each cup.
- Bake for 20 minutes and serve hot.