Pumpkin Patch Cake
The real pumpkin patch is fun for all ages, and so is this look-alike cake. Serve it up at your next harvest party and everyone will 'dig in'. If you can't find mini candy pumpkins, orange gumdrops work just fine.
Hands-On Time: 20 minutes
Ready In: 50 minutes (includes baking time
Yield: 10-12 servings
1 (18.5 ounce) boxed cake mix -- prepared
1 (16 ounce) can dark chocolate icing
1 (16 ounce) can white icing
1 (22 ounce) bag small candy pumpkins
10 chocolate cream sandwich cookies
32 pretzel sticks
orange and green gumdrops – optional
- Bake cake as directed on box using 2 square 9x9 baking pans that have been prepared with cooking spray. Cool 5 minutes, remove from pans and cool completely.
- Trim cakes so they are flat and place on a large platter. Frost the top of the bottom layer with dark chocolate icing. Top with remaining cake and frost sides only with dark chocolate icing.
- Tint white icing with green food coloring and frost the top of the cake only - leaving the sides covered with dark chocolate.
- Place cookies into a large resealable plastic bags and crush fine.
- Sprinkle crushed cookies evenly over the top of the cake to look like dirt.
- Set candy pumpkins into the 'dirt'.
- Piece together 4 pretzel sticks with small dabs of icing to resemble fencing. You will need 8 lengths of 'fence'. Let dry well before placing around the edge of the cake. Add a small sign attached to pretzel sticks if wanted.
- Surround cake with more candy pumpkins and gumdrops if desired.