Muffuletta is the name of the Italian bread this savory sandwich is made with. Sold hot from the oven in the French Quarter of New Orleans, it was snatched up as quickly as it was set out and made into sandwiches stacked high with meats, cheese and olive salad. This travels well, too, and is a favorite in this house.
Hands-On Time: 15 minutes
Ready In: 2 hours and 15 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
1 large round loaf of bread (traditionally Italian)
1/2 pound hard salami - sliced
1/2 pound sliced ham
1/2 pound smoked turkey
1/2 pound sliced cheese
1/2 cup pitted and chopped black olives
1/2 cup chopped Spanish olives with pimiento
2 plum tomatoes - sliced
1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
- Combine olives and dressing and blend well. Set aside.
- Cut bread loaf in half horizontally. Remove inside of bread leaving a 1-inch ring around edge.
- Layer meat and cheese alternately making 2 layers.
- Top with sliced tomato and chopped olive salad. Replace top of bread and wrap tightly in plastic.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours and remove from plastic. Cut into 6 wedges.