Fruit and Grain Bars
My kids love fruit and grain bars for snacks, but they can be quite pricey. At 15 cents per bar, this homemade version is a substantial savings over the store-bought kind, and because they're made at home, I'm more aware of exactly what's going into them. Try an organic cake mix and organic fruit spread, if you can find them. Don't be tempted to add more fruit spread, the amount called for is just right and too much will make the bars difficult to cut.
Hands-On Time: 5 minutes
Ready In: 35 minutes
Yield: 20 bars
Cost Per Serving: $0.15
1 box yellow cake mix
2 cups oats - quick-cooking
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
1 large egg
1 cup jelly, jam, preserves or fruit spread
- Mix together cake mix, oats, cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Add egg and melted butter and stir with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Divide batter in half and spread half into bottom of a greased 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Spread fruit spread on top of crust to the edges.
- Crumble the remaining cake mixture over the jelly and press lightly into jelly with hands.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until top is golden.
- Cool well and cut into 20 bars.