Chocolate Cream and Strawberry Pie
This great chilled pie for summer combines delicious chocolate and fresh strawberries for a knockout dessert. It's a perfect recipe to make ahead of time for a picnic or cookout or summer special occasion.
Hands-On Time: 15 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
12 ounces chocolate chips
1 cup milk -- any fat content
1 large egg
1 9 inch pie crust
1 quart fresh strawberries washed and hulled
1/4 cup strawberry jelly or preserves
1 Tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine chocolate chips and milk in a heavy saucepan. Heat on low setting until chips begin to melt. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Beat egg and add 1/4 cup of hot chocolate mixture to egg. Stir quickly so the egg does not cook.
- Add egg and chocolate to the first mixture and blend well.
- Pour chocolate into pie crust and bake for 25 minutes, or until center is lightly set.
- Chill pie for 30 minutes.
- Top pie with strawberries -- points up.
- Combine strawberry preserves with water and stir until smooth. Brush or drizzle over strawberries.
- Chill until serving time.