Inspired by: Winnie the Pooh
Take it from Pooh Bear, everything tastes better with a little bit of honey -- and the proof is in the sauce! Sweet-and-tangy, and quick to prepare (it only takes 15 minutes or so), this recipe is perfect for dressing up grilled chicken, ribs, or burgers at your Father's Day cookout. For a special surprise, ladle the sauce into a jar and let your kids add a hand-printed label before presenting it to Dad.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 cup catsup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 16-ounce glass jar
- Printable labels
- Colored pencils or markers
- Glue stick
1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Add the onion to the pan and let it cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pieces soften.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until well blended.
3. Simmer the sauce for 15 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the sauce to cool. Meanwhile print out the labels. You can simply cut out one of the colored versions and glue it onto the jar, or have your child color in a plain label.
5. Pour the sauce into the jar and screw on the lid. Store the sauce in the refrigerator until you're ready to use it.