These fun cookies are a version of my grandmother's. They originally call for shortening, but in the face of all that is known about trans fats these days, I opted for butter this time. We usually make these cookies pink. These are the best go-with for ice cream and I think chocolate chip mint or pistachio would be great for St. Pat's.
Hands-On Time: 15 minutes
Ready In: 40 minutes, including cooling time
Yield: 2 dozen cookies
1 c butter-softened
2 c flour
6 T sugar
1/4 c milk
1 oz confetti candy (multi-colored non-pareils)
1 t vanilla or almond extract or 1/4 t mint extract
1/4 t salt
green food coloring
- Mix butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Blend flour and salt and add alternately to butter mixture with milk and extract (add food coloring to milk so it gets into dough evenly).
- Add in confetti and mix well. Dough will be stiff.
- Roll into 1" balls and flatten slightly.
- Bake on greased cookie sheets at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. Do not let them brown.
- Cool and roll in powdered sugar.