Morning Energy Muffins
If your family faces a rush in the morning, as does mine, eating a nutritious breakfast can often be a challenge. With everyone leaving at various times and heading to different locations quick, easy and nutritious fare is what I look for. These muffins can be made in advance and frozen. Just pop them into the microwave in the morning for an energizing and delicious start to your day.
Hands-On Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 35-38 minutes
Yield: 12 muffins
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup wheat germ
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups bran cereal
2/3 cup milk (low or no fat)
1 egg, slightly beaten
2/3 cup applesauce or pumpkin puree or 1 ripe mashed banana
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup raisins, chopped dried apricots or other dried fruit
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare muffin tin with paper liners or cooking spray.
- Combine flours, wheat germ, spices, salt, baking powder and bran cereal together. Set aside.
- Mix milk, egg, applesauce (or mashed banana), brown sugar, and oil until well blended.
- Add wet mixture to dry until just combined.
- Stir in raisins or dried fruit. Divide batter into muffin cups and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown.