While this traditional dessert is usually made with mascarpone cheese, cream cheese will do fine and is cheaper and easier to find. This is single-layer-quick for those times you want the flavors of tiramisu, but don't have the time for a larger dessert.
Hands-On Time: 15 minutes
Ready In: 2 1/4 hours
Yield: 6 servings
2 oz. semi-sweet chocolate-grated
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, cut up and softened
1 c. cold whipping cream
1 c. freshly brewed espresso, or other strong coffee, cooled
1/4 c. brandy
1 (12 oz.) frozen pound cake, thawed and cut into cut into "fingers" about 1" thick.
- Mix sugar and vanilla until smooth and thick. Add in cheese a little at a time, blending until smooth.
- Beat whipping cream until stiff peaks hold. Fold into cream cheese mixture and set aside.
- Dip cake fingers in espresso mixed with brandy -- just briefly. They should be soaked but not falling apart.
- Arrange fingers on the bottom of a 9x9 cake pan.
- Spread the cheese mixture evenly over the cake.
- Sprinkle the chocolate over top and chill for several hours before serving.