Cornish Hens in Apricot and Cranberry Glaze
What on earth is a mother of seven doing posting about cooking for two? I started out this two-fer crusade simply wanting to come up with alternatives to the traditional Thanksgiving dinner.
Hands-On Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour
Yield: 2 servings
2 Cornish hens, 1 1/4 lbs (20 oz.) each
2 orange wedges
2 whole cloves
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon each cranberry jelly and apricot preserves
1 tablespoon chicken stock
- Rinse hens and pat dry.
- Place in a shallow roasting pan -- a rack works best -- and brush with olive oil.
- Salt and pepper lightly.
- Stud each orange wedge -- 1/8 of an orange each is a good size -- with a single clove.
- Stuff the hens with the studded orange wedges.
- Tent loosely with foil and bake in a 350 degree F oven for one hour total.
- Remove foil after a half hour so hens will brown.
- Combine the cranberry jelly and apricot preserves with the stock. Mix well and brush the hens with this during the last 10 minutes of cooking time.