Toad in the Hole
We decided this year that we would watch a series of movies to pass the time on New Year's Eve, and the decision was that we would watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy. We also decided that this would be the perfect time to do something we had always wanted to do: eat like Hobbits.
Hands-On Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
1 c. milk
1 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
6 medium sized sausages
- Grill or fry sausages until nearly done in the center.
- Mix eggs and milk together well and add flour and salt. Beat until just combined and no longer lumpy.
- Put a tablespoon of oil or butter in a casserole dish with the sausages and put into a 425 degree F oven for 5 minutes until very hot.
- Add batter to hot sausages quickly--this way the edges will curl up in the traditional way.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until browned and puffy.