I like to end summer get-together's with favorites like brownies and pie. This easy recipe for strawberry pie would definitely fill the bill.
Hands-On Time: 20 minutes
Ready In: 20 minutes
Yield: 6-8 slices
6 cups fresh strawberries
3/4 to 1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 9-in baked deep-dish pie crust
- Wash and hull the strawberries. Slice 3 cups. I like thicker slices, do what you are comfortable with. In a large saucepan mash 3 cups of the berries with a fork or potato masher. Add sugar (how much depends on the sweetness of the berries) and cornstarch dissolved in the water.
- Bring to a simmer and stir until thick and clear. This takes about 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice. Remove from heat and let cool until room temperature. Mash 3 cups strawberries in large saucepan with fork or potato masher.
- Add sugar and cornstarch and bring to simmer over medium heat. Stir until thickened and clear, 3 to 5 minutes. Blend in lemon juice.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Add the remaining 3 cups of strawberries and blend well. Spoon into pie crust and chill until serving time.
- Top with whipped cream and blueberries for a red, white and blue treat.
Top with whipped cream and blueberries for a red, white and blue treat.