While it's true that fairies log more miles in flight than on foot, they still appreciate a comfortable pair of shoes -- like Tinker Bell's distinctive lime green slip-ons. These sweet replicas, complete with white pompoms, are made of fondant and are sized to fit perfectly atop a cupcake.
- Fondant, store bought or homemade (see recipe below)
- Batch of baked cupcakes
- Vanilla buttercream frosting
- Butter knife
- Green food coloring
- Wooden spoon
- 4 1/2 teaspoons softened butter
- 4 1/2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
Combine the butter, corn syrup, vanilla extract, and salt in a mixing bowl and use an electric mixer on medium speed to blend them. Add the sifted sugar and mix the fondant on slow and then medium speed until it begins to clump together. Then knead the fondant with clean hands until it is smooth. If it ends up being too dry, add a little more corn syrup; if it's too sticky, sift in more powdered sugar. Wrap the fondant tightly in plastic and store it in the refrigerator until you're ready to use it.Instructions:
1. Prepare the fondant and set a quarter of the batch aside. Tint the rest of the fondant green.
|2. Make a pair of shoes for each cupcake. For each shoe, roll a bit of green fondant into a 3/4-inch ball. Use your thumb to flatten the ball slightly, and then pinch the sides to create a simple slipper shape, as shown.|
|3. Use the end of a wooden spoon to lightly tamp down the fondant where an opening for the foot would go.|
4. Now roll a pinch of the un-tinted fondant into a tiny pompom and place it on the toe of the shoe.
5. Chill the shoes on a plate in the refrigerator for 10 minutes or so to firm them up.
6. Frost the cupcakes and top each one with a pair of shoes.