No-Knead Honey Whole Wheat Bread
When it comes to comfort food the most comforting of all is homemade bread. There is something warm and wonderful about the aroma as it bakes that makes you want to slow down and take the time to savor it. Baking bread can be time-intensive without a machine, and even then it can take longer than anyone wants to wait for fresh-baked bread. No-Knead bread is just as delicious as the kneaded kind and even the kids can handle this -- making it just that much more enjoyable for parents.
Hands-On Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour
Yield: 2 8-inch loaves
3 cups warm water, 110 - 120 degrees F
2 packets instant dry yeast
1/4 cup honey*
4 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
- Grease two 8 1/2 inch by 4 1/2 inch by 2 1/2 inch loaf pans or two 1.5 quart oven-proof bowls.
- Combine warm water, yeast and honey. Stir to dissolve yeast.
- In a large bowl, mix together flours and salt. Pour liquid into dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly -- dough will be sticky.
- Divide dough equally between pans. Let stand in a warm spot for 20 minutes until slightly risen.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 40 minutes. The bottom of the loaves will sound hollow when tapped.
- Turn out of pans and cool on a rack.
For vegan, substitute agave nectar for the honey.