These muffins are super-moist and flavorful -- the perfect start to any morning, but especially a busy morning. With very little sugar and no white flour, they're also a healthier choice. I'll be making them for Christmas morning in anticipation of a food-filled day. Mixing the dry ingredients the night before helps to speed preparation, and with a 20 minute bake time, they're ready fast.
Hands-On Time: 5 minutes
Ready In: 25 minutes
Makes: 12 muffins
1 cup sour milk*
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup oat flour**
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup instant oats
1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease 12 muffin cups.
- Combine sour milk, applesauce, butter, vanilla extract, egg and brown sugar and blend well.
- Stir together oat flour, wheat flour, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Add flour mixture to wet mixture and blend well.
- Fold in oats, almonds and apricots.
- Fill muffin tins. These do not rise very high, so a full muffin cup is fine.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
*Sour milk is easy to make -- add a tablespoon of vinegar to a one cup measure and fill to the top with milk. Let stand for 5 minutes.
**Oat flour doesn't need to be bought -- make your own by pureeing instant oatmeal in the blender until a fine dry powder is formed.