Kids' Pasta and Cheese
This is a fast favorite for lunches in our house. Acini di pepe is most often used in Italian Wedding Soup, but the kids like the small shape and it's easy for little ones to spoon up. Change up the cheese and veggies here to whatever your particular tastes are.
Hands-On Time: 5 minutes
Ready In: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
1 cup acini di pepe pasta
1 cup frozen peas
2 turkey or chicken hot dogs - sliced thinly
4 ounces (about 1 cup) shredded melting cheese such as American, cheddar or gruyere
1/4 cup milk
salt and pepper as desired
- Cook pasta according to package directions until just before desired doneness is reached.
- Two minutes before pasta is done, add peas and hot dogs to cooking water and cook until heated through.
- Drain water from pasta, hot dogs and peas.
- Put back into pot and add milk and cheese. Heat over a very low flame, stirring constantly until cheese is melted and pasta is coated well.
- Season with salt and pepper before serving.