When the crewman Ragetti accompanied Jack Sparrow to Tia Dalma's shack, he discovered the ultimate sight for sore eyes. Among the former sea goddess' magical wares was a jar filled with eyeballs, and Ragetti hoped his chance to replace his own wooden orb was near. As fate would have it, Ragetti was destined to keep his fake peeper a while longer -- until Barbossa, who had given it to Ragetti in the first place, ultimately reclaimed it as one of the "Pieces of Eight" needed to transform Tia Dalma back into Calypso. Unlike the ones in Tia Dalma's stores, these edible candy-coated eyeballs are up for grabs. But you'll want to act fast. They're not likely to last long.
- Cookie sheet
- Waxed paper
- Mixing bowl
- 1/2 cup softened cream cheese
- 22 chocolate sandwich cookies
- Lifesaver Gummies
- A handful of chocolate chips
- 2 cups white chocolate chips
- Microwaveable measuring cup or small, deep bowl
1. Line the cookie sheet with waxed paper and set it aside.
2. Crush the sandwich cookies into fine crumbs. You can do this in a food processor, or seal them in a plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
3. Combine the cookie crumbs and softened cream cheese in a mixing bowl and stir until the ingredients are well combined.
4. With clean hands, roll half tablespoonfuls of the cookie mixture into balls (about 1 1/4-inch in diameter) and place them on the waxed paper. Use you thumb to make a shallow nickel-size depression in the top of each ball.
5. Chill the cookie balls until firm (about 1 hour).
6. Select a Lifesaver Gummy to use as an iris for each eyeball. Stretch the centers to enlarge the holes a bit and insert a chocolate chip, tip down, in each one. Set the irises aside for now.
7. Pour the white chocolate chips into the measuring cup or bowl and melt them in the microwave according to the directions on the package.
8. Insert a toothpick into one of the chilled cookie balls. Dip the ball into the melted white chocolate and then set it on the tray, using a second toothpick to hold it in place while you pull the first one out. Immediately set one of the irises atop the candy-coated ball and gently press it into the depression. Repeat this step with the rest of the cookie balls.
9. Allow the white chocolate coating to cool and harden before serving the eyeballs. You can speed up the process by chilling them on the tray for a few minutes. Store leftover eyeballs in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Makes a dozen or more.