Simple Apple Cake
This apple cake is so easy it's nearly criminal. The kids adore it and it disappears in no time. A perfect recipe for apple-picking time!
Hands-On Time: 15 minutes
Ready In: 45 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
8 cups peeled and thinly sliced apples - about 4 large or 8 small
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar - divided
2/3 cup butter, softened
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (I prefer freshly grated)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Layer apples in a 9x13 baking dish.
- Combine butter and 1 cup sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Add flour and baking powder and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Combine 1/4 cup of remaining sugar with cinnamon and nutmeg. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons over apples in pan.
- Drop spoonfuls of dough over apples and spread together until apples are evenly covered.
- Sprinkle remaining cinnamon-nutmeg sugar over dough.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and puffy.
I serve this with sweetened sour cream: To 1 cup of sour cream add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar. Stir to combine.