Aladdin's pet monkey Abu tended to take things that didn't belong to him, a habit that got the two of them into some serious fixes. In the Cave of Wonders, for instance, he helped himself to a ruby, after which the cave began to collapse. Still, it was Abu's quick antics that foiled Jafar's attempt to steal the lamp from Aladdin. With a handful of candy and nuts, you can create a batch of monkey-face cupcakes that look every bit as mischievous as their namesake.
Ingredients (for each cupcake)
A chocolate cupcake
A caramel candy
2 white chocolate chips
2 mini chocolate chips
Red decorator's frosting or gel
A gum drop candy
2 almond slices
1. Frost the cupcake and set it aside while you create the monkey's facial features.
2. Microwave a caramel candy for up to 6 seconds to slightly soften it. Then sandwich the candy between two pieces of waxed paper and use the rolling pin to flatten it to about 1/8 inch thick.
|3. Cut two ovals (about 1 1/2 inch by 1 inch) out of the flattened caramel. Trim the upper edge of one oval to resemble the top of a heart. Now create the monkey's face by arranging the two ovals so that the upper edge of the untrimmed one overlaps the bottom of other, as shown. Use the tip of a toothpick to poke holes through the caramel where the eyes and the nostrils should go.|
4. Press two white chocolate chips, tips down, onto the caramel where the eye holes are. Top each white chocolate chip with a mini chocolate chip, using dabs of frosting to stick them in place.
5. Now place the face on top of the cupcake and use red decorator's frosting or gel to add a mouth.
6. Cut a small strip from the remaining scraps of flattened caramel and scrunch one edge slightly to resemble a bit of fur for the top of the monkey's head. Gently press it in place. Then slice a gum drop down through the center and use one half for a hat.
7. For the finishing touch, add a pair of almond sliver ears.