Living in an undersea world, a mermaid like Ariel is apt to encounter a variety of colorful characters. These sweet clownfish are a case in point. Created from apricots and sporting candy stripes, they make a snack that's sure to reel in young fans.
2 dozen dried whole apricots
15 white candy melts
12 mini chocolate chips
1. Line the cookie sheet with waxed paper.
|2. For each fish, cut 2 apricots as shown. Then, remove the smallest piece from the first apricot (reserve these pieces to add to trail mix or granola) and arrange the remaining four pieces on the waxed paper, as pictured, to create a fish shape.|
3. Heat the candy melts in the microwave, following the directions on the package, and stir them just until smooth.
4. Working with one fish at a time, dip the cut edge of the first apricot piece into the melted candy. Then place the dipped piece back down on the waxed paper and push the second apricot piece firmly up against it. Next, dip the cut edge of the third piece and press it against the second piece. Finally, dip the rounded edge of the fourth piece into the melted candy and push it in place to create the fish's tail.
5. Once you've assembled all of the fish, use the tip of a toothpick to poke a hole in each one where the eye will go. Press a mini chocolate chip, tip down, into each hole.
6. Place the tray in the refrigerator for a few minutes until the candy firms up again. Makes 12 fish.