Tinker Bell's Fairy Wings Cake
Adorned with candy swirls and frosting roses, this party cake fashioned after Tink's dainty wings will have fairy fans all a flutter.
- Template for Tinker Bell Wings Cake
- White or yellow cake baked in 9- by 13-inch pan
- Kitchen knife
- Frosting (white for the cake top and green for the sides)*
- Spatula or knife for frosting the cake
- Green sugar pearls (found in the baking aisle of the grocery or craft store) or other small green candies
- Icing roses or other flowers (found in the baking aisle of the grocery or craft store)
- Green decorating icing with leaf tip (optional)
* Note: Homemade frosting or decorating frosting works best for this cake. Most readymade creamy varieties will not harden and therefore aren't effective in sealing in the crumbs along the cut edges of the cake. If you prefer readymade frosting, you can try stirring in some confectioners sugar to stiffen it up..
1. Using the serrated kitchen knife (a bread knife works well for this), level the cake by carefully slicing off the domed portion of the top. Then place the cake, cut side down, onto a wax paper-covered piece of cardboard.
2. Print the template. Cut out the pieces and tape them together, as shown, so that they overlap just slightly. Place the completed template atop the cake and use a kitchen knife to cut through the cake along the paper edge, as shown.
3. Spread an initial coat of frosting, just thick enough to seal in the crumbs, on the two assembled cake pieces. Chill the cake for 30 minutes to harden the frosting.
4. Carefully lift the wax paper on both sides of the cake and transfer it to a cake board or large serving tray. With the wax paper still in place, spread on a second coat of frosting and smooth the surface with your spatula. Use a damp paper towel to carefully wipe any excess frosting and crumbs from the wax paper around the perimeter of the cake. Then you can trim the paper close to the cake edge, if you like.
5. Now you can decorate the cake top with icing roses, piped-on leaves, and pretty sugar pearl swirls.