Pirates of the Caribbean
Mermaid Tail Cookies
Even if Angelica and Blackbeard succeed in getting Jack to lead them to the Fountain of Youth, it's going to take a few more things to actually make the legendary spring flow. Not the least of which is a mermaid's tear! Decorated with colorful candy scales, these whimsical mermaid tails are a sweet tribute to one of the most alluring and exquisite mythical creatures of the sea.
- Mermaid Tail Cookie Template
- Batch of chilled sugar cookie dough (homemade or store-bought)
- Rolling pin
- Wax paper
- Baking sheet
- Cooling rack
- Kitchen knife
- White cookie icing
- Candy necklaces or other small candies
- Colored sugar (optional)
- Food decorator pens (optional)
*Note: If the store-bought brand of dough you use is too soft to hold the cookie shapes during baking, you can knead in a little extra flour to stiffen it before rolling it out.Instructions:
1. Print the template and cut it out. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness, then use the template and a knife to cut out mermaid tail cookies. Bake the cookies according to the recipe directions and let them cool.
2. Working with one cookie at a time, spread cookie icing on the tail fin. Then spread more icing on a 2-inch section of the tail just above the fin and gently press candies into it, arranging them close together to resemble scales. Continue frosting and decorating the rest of the tail a section at a time until you reach the top. Or, you can simply sprinkle colored sugar on the icing in place of the candy.
3. Set the cookies aside until the icing hardens. Then use food decorator pens to embellish the tail fins with colorful lines, if you like.