Remy's Cheese Cake
Remy is a rat with a nose for sniffing out delicious treats, and this cheese-shaped cake is no exception. Remy even makes a surprise appearance, poking his head out from inside the cake!
- 2 8-inch round cakes, baked from your favorite recipe
- White frosting, store bought
- Gel food coloring: buttercup, yellow, blue, red
- Orange candy melts, found in baking and craft stores
- 2 marshmallows
- White taffy candy (we used Tootsie Rolls)
- Brown taffy candy (we used Tootsie Rolls)
- Pink taffy candy (we used Starburst)
- White nonpareil sprinkles
- Chocolate wafer cookies
1. To start, set aside a quarter cup of white frosting. Tint this frosting gray by first creating a pale lavender color using a tiny drop of blue and red, then adding yellow to create a cement gray color.
2. Tint the remaining frosting yellow using the buttercup food coloring.
3. Place a cooled 8-inch cake on a cake plate and top with yellow buttercup frosting. Stack the second cake on top of that. Cut a slice from the cake and set it aside. Now frost the entire cake using the buttercup frosting.
4. Press orange candy melts, flat side facing up, scattered over the top and sides of the cake, like the holes in a block of Swiss cheese. Set the frosted cake aside.
5. Trim the edges of a marshmallow, creating a cone shape.
6. Frost the edges of the marshmallow cone using the gray icing you created earlier -- this will be Remy's snout. Place a dollop of gray frosting on the wafer cookie and press the frosted snout on top of that.
7. Divide the pink taffy into 3 pieces. Roll one piece into a ball for Remy's snout. Form the other two pieces into circles and roll the ends to create Remy's ears.
8. Form Remy's eyes using small pieces of the white taffy. Top with smaller pieces of the brown taffy for pupils. Give Remy's eyes a sparkle with white nonpareils.
9. Place the decorated cookie on top of the cake and make Remy a chef's hat by cutting a marshmallow in half.
10. To make a "Happy Birthday" sign, tape a circle of colored cardstock onto a toothpick and insert in the cake.