Lightning McQueen Cake
A carved cake in the shape of Lightning McQueen, the star of the movie, Cars.
- Your favorite cake mix (enough for two 9x13 sheet cakes)
- Your favorite buttercream frosting
- Various icing colors for the drawing
- Large knife for carving
1. Bake cakes as directed. Once cool, put the layers on top of each other with a bit of frosting, and freeze.
2. Once cake is frozen, it is much easier to carve. Using a picture or a toy car (preferable) as a model, carve out the general shape (the hood, and cab sections).
3. Now, proceed to the more specific details -- carve out the curves on the hood, shape the cab section and tail section. Be sure to just take off a little at a time, and watch your progress carefully, since you can't put cake back once it's been carved off. Carve out wheel wells.
4. Once you have the shape, cover in red buttercream, then use white, black, and yellow icing to add the details. For areas that need to be filled in (windshield, back windows, etc.) use frosting and fill in, then using a finger dipped in cornstarch, smooth the area.