Royal Wedding Cupcakes
In England, traditional brides opt for a sweet confection on their wedding day – fruitcake! Cakes are baked with dried fruits and almonds and then decorated with marzipan, an almond paste candy that can be molded just like dough. Create your own fruitcake flavors with this simple, tasty recipe. Just dress up a boxed cake mix with dried cherries and almond extract, then top your cupcakes with British-inspired designs crafted from marzipan.
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 3 eggs
- Marzipan, store-bought
- White fondant, store-bought (we used Wilton brand)
- Food coloring -- red, yellow, blue
- White whipped frosting, store bought
- 2.5" round cookie cutter
- Fondant cutters
- Rolling pin
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F, and prepare a cupcake pan with paper liners.
2. Combine dried cherries, warm water, and almond extract in a glass liquid measuring cup. Let the cherries soak in the warm water and almond extract for 30 minutes.
3. Place yellow cake mix, eggs, and plain yogurt in the bowl of an electric mixture. Note: The yogurt substitutes for the oil in the boxed mix recipe. This is a low-fat substitution.
4. When finished soaking, remove the cherries from the water and set aside. Pour the almond-infused water into the mixer with the cake mix, eggs, and yogurt.
5. Place the cherries in the bowl of the food processor and chop for 10 - 15 seconds.
6. Add chopped cherries to the bowl of the electric mixer.
7. Blend all ingredients on low for 30 seconds, or until moistened. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
8. Pour batter into lined cupcake tins and bake for 23 - 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. Let cool.
10. Divide marzipan into 3 pieces. Put each piece of marzipan into a separate bowl and add a few drops of food coloring to each. Knead the food coloring into the marzipan to disperse the color evenly.
11. Place colored marzipan and white fondant on waxed paper and roll into 1/8" thick rounds.
12. Use the round cookie cutter to cut circles from white fondant and colored marzipan. You will need one circle for each cupcake.
13. Cut British-inspired designs from the remaining marzipan and fondant using small cookie cutters, and a knife. Hearts, small crowns and Union Jacks make a festive display.
14. Use a dollop of whipped frosting to "glue" the decorations onto the fondant and marzipan circles.
15. When cupcakes have cooled, frost tops with a bit of the whipped frosting and then press on the fondant circles.