To stretch the ground beef, we use high-fiber bulgur and whole-wheat breadcrumbs in the meatballs, which are baked rather than fried.
|Prep Time:||40 minutes|
|Ready in:||1 1/4 hours|
|Ease of Prep:||Moderate|
|1/3 cup bulgur|
|1/2 cup hot water|
|4 ounces lean ground beef|
|4 ounces hot Italian sausage|
|1 medium onion , very finely chopped|
|2 large egg whites , lightly beaten|
|3 cloves garlic , very finely chopped|
|1 teaspoon dried oregano|
|1/2 teaspoon salt|
|1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper|
|1 cup fresh breadcrumbs , preferably whole-wheat (see Tip)|
|4 cups prepared marinara sauce|
|1/2 cup slivered fresh basil leaves or chopped fresh parsley|
|1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti or linguine|
|1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese (1 ounce)|
- To prepare meatballs: Combine bulgur and water in a small bowl. Let stand until the bulgur is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a rack with cooking spray and place it over a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Combine ground beef, sausage, onion, egg whites, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, breadcrumbs and the soaked bulgur in a large bowl; mix well. Form the mixture into 1-inch meatballs (about 24). Place the meatballs on the rack and bake for 25 minutes. Blot well with paper towel.
- To prepare sauce & spaghetti: Put a large pot of lightly salted water on to boil. Bring sauce to a simmer in a Dutch oven. Add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Stir in basil (or parsley).
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti (or linguine) until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a serving bowl. Top with the sauce and meatballs and serve with grated cheese.
Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear the bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice makes about 1/3 cup.
Health Advantages: high fiber, low sat fat, high calcium, heart healthy.
|Servings Per Recipe: 6|
|Amount Per serving|
|Calories:||496 cal||Carbohydrate Servings:||4 1/2|
|Carbohydrates:||86 g||Dietary Fiber:||18 g||Cholesterol:||28 mg|
|Fat:||8 g||Sodium:||568 mg||Saturated Fat:||3 g|
|Protein:||27 g||Potassium:||405 mg||Monounsaturated Fat:||3 g|
|Nutrition Bonus:||Fiber (72% daily value), Vitamin C (35% dv), Iron (30% dv), Calcium (25% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv).|