Slow Cooker White Turkey Chili
Slow cookers are a busy mom's best friend and chili in the slow cooker is a favorite. This white ground turkey version is full of flavor and gets a little extra kick topped with fried green onions.
- Cook ground turkey, onion and green pepper in 2 tablespoons oil until turkey is no longer pink and vegetables begin to soften -- about 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Stir in green chiles, beans and seasonings until well blended.
- Pour into a slow cooker and lid tightly. Cook on LOW setting for 4 hours.
- Slice green onions thinly (white and green parts) and cook in remaining 2 Tablespoons oil until crisp and just beginning to brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and spread on paper toweling to drain.
- Serve chili topped with sour cream and fried green onions.
What is the Family Approved program?
In Their Opinion:
- Good for Grownups
- Budget Friendly
- Kid Friendly
- Go-To Meal
Everyone loved this recipe. I am still surprised at how big of a hit this meal was. The onions and green pepper were noticeable and no one picked them out - they ate every bite. My husband and I thought the fried onions were a delicious touch and easy enough to do.
Even my choosey eater thought it was great! Kid's comments? "This is so good. I really like this. It tastes so good and the corn is good and the tortilla that's like a chip tastes great with it," said Jack. "This is super good and I know it's healthy becasue of the beans and the meat and I even like the onions on top," Shane commented, and Natalie even said she'd like to take it in her lunch box on chilly days!
Consider cooking a double batch -- this recipe made more like four than six servings. Also, after cooking the turkey, grind it in the food processor so the whole dish makes for a smoother soup.