Yield: 3 dozen cookiesIngredients
1 6-ounce can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar plus extra to sprinkle over cookies
2 large eggs
2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest (optional)
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- In a medium bowl mix the flour and baking soda together with a whisk or a fork. Set aside.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the thawed lemonade into a measuring cup and set the rest of the lemonade aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand-mixer (or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment), cream the butter and 1 cup of sugar on low speed. Add the lemon zest, if desired. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition until combined and the mixture is light and creamy.
- Add about one-third of the flour mixture to the butter and sugar. Mix on low speed and then add about one-third of the lemonade in the measuring cup. Alternate adding flour and lemonade, mixing after each addition, until the dough shows no streaks of flour and the ingredients are just combined.
- Transfer the cookie dough onto a floured work surface. Using your hands, shape the dough into a large flat disc and then cut in half, forming 2 discs about 6 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick. Wrap the doughs separately in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the refrigerated cookie dough to 1/4-inch thick.
- Using your choice of cookie cutter shapes, cut out the cookies and transfer them to an ungreased baking sheet, 2-inches apart. (* See Recipe Note below)
- Bake the cookies for 8 minutes until the edges are slightly browned.
- While still hot, use a pastry brush to lightly brush the cookies with the remaining lemonade. Sprinkle the cookies with sugar and transfer to a wire rack to cool, about 10 minutes.
Recipe Note: The dough scraps can re-formed and rolled again to cut more cookies, making sure to flour the surface and the dough each time to keep from sticking.