Yield: Each topping recipe makes 18 bruschettaIngredients
1 baguette, cut on the bias into 1/2-inch slices
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, halved
Tomato and Basil Topping:
4 to 6 ripe tomatoes, chopped
12 to 16 fresh basil leaves, chopped
Kalamata Olive and Feta Cheese Topping:
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 tablespoon lemon juice (from 1 large lemon)
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1/4 cup coarsely chopped Kalamata olives
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
Sweet Red Peppers with Asiago Cheese:
1 7-ounce jar roasted red bell pepper strips, drained and coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons capers, rinsed and drained
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon shaved Asiago cheese
- Preheat a grill-pan over medium-high heat or light a gas or charcoal grill over medium-high heat.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the bread slices on both sides with olive oil.
- Grill the bread slices for 2 minutes each side until the grill nicely toasts and marks the bread.
- Rub one side of the grilled bread with garlic. Set aside.
- To assemble the Tomato and Basil Bruschetta: Put the chopped tomatoes into a small bowl. Spoon the tomatoes onto the grilled bread. Sprinkle with chopped basil and a pinch of sea salt. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.
- To make and assemble the Kalamata Olive and Feta Cheese topping: In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Spoon the topping on the grilled bread as you like. Serve warm.
- To make and assemble the Sweet Red Peppers with Asiago Cheese topping: In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the cheese. Spoon the topping onto the grilled bread and sprinkle each bruschetta with a few shavings of Asiago cheese. Serve.