Yield: 6 servingsIngredients
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 cup halved grape tomatoes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 cups diced eggplant
1/2 head broccoli, chopped into small florets
3/4 cup grated carrots
1/4 Vidalia or sweet onion, sliced
1 small yellow squash, thinly sliced
1 small zucchini, grated
6 small whole wheat pita rounds
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
3/4 teaspoon Greek seasoning
1/4 cup shredded fresh basil leaves, or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet and add tomatoes. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt to taste. Set aside to cool.
- In the same skillet used for the tomatoes, heat the remaining 1 tablespoons of oil on medium heat.
- Add the eggplant, broccoli, carrot, onion, squash, zucchini and a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened but not mushy.
- Put the softened vegetables, except tomatoes, into the food processor and pulse until a thick sauce is formed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the vegetable mixture evenly on top of the pita rounds. Divide the sautéed tomatoes evenly among the 6 mini pizzas, placing atop the veggie mixture. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar, if using.
- Top each pizza with mozzarella cheese, feta cheese and any other desired toppings, such as: cooked Italian or turkey sausage, olives, mushrooms, etc.
- Season each pizza with a pinch of Greek seasoning and fresh basil.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown.