Yield: 8 cupcakes; 1 quart frostingIngredients
2 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup, plus 3 tablespoons cake flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup peanut butter chips
1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
8 oz powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 3 oz bar bittersweet 60% chocolate, for garnish
1 12-cup muffin tin lined with white paper cupcake liners.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the chocolate in the top of a double boiler, or in a glass or stainless steel bowl set atop a pot with one-third-full of barely simmering water. Stir the chocolate until melted. Remove and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, using a hand mixer on medium speed, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating each until incorporated. Add the cooled chocolate and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt) into the chocolate mixture, beating on a low speed and then increasing to medium-high until fully mixed and smooth. Do not overmix.
- Add the peanut butter chips and vanilla extract into the chocolate batter. Stir to combine.
- Divide the batter evenly among 8 cupcake molds.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely for 30 minutes before frosting.
- For the frosting: Using a hand mixer, or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on a low-medium speed until creamy and fluffy.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar. Do it slowly so as to not create a big dust cloud of sugar. The frosting will appear to be slightly dry and crumbly.
- Add the vanilla and water and continue to beat on a medium speed until the frosting is creamy but thick.
- Add the creamy peanut butter and beat again until just combined.
- Using an offset spatula, decorate the cooled cupcakes with the peanut butter frosting.
- Using a microplane, box grater or vegetable peeler, grate or shave the bittersweet chocolate and sprinkle on top of the frosted cupcakes. Place the finished, decorated cupcakes on a serving platter and serve or store in an air-tight container.