Yield: 4 to 6 servingsIngredients
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 small jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded, and minced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 28-oz. can whole, peeled tomatoes with juices
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons light sour cream
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Grilled Cheese Croutons:
4 slices whole wheat or potato bread
4 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Heat the oil in a 4-quart pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper, salt and pepper and cook until the onions are softened and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the whole tomatoes and chicken stock. Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat and allow the soup to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the tomatoes are soft.
- Turn the heat off.
- Whisk in the ½ cup of sour cream and lime juice.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup directly in the pot until the tomatoes are broken down and the soup is smooth. If you do not have an immersion blender, you can ladle the soup into a blender and puree in batches, being careful as the liquid will be very hot.
- Return the pot to the stove on a low heat (so the soup does not curdle).
- For the grilled cheese croutons, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Butter 2 bread slices, placing 1 slice into the pan buttered-side down. Arrange half of the cheese slices on the exposed side of bread. Top with the second slice of buttered bread, buttered-slice up.
- Brown until golden, for 2-3 minutes. Then flip over to brown the other side and melt the cheese.
- Remove the grilled cheese from the pan and set aside on a cooling rack to cool.
- Repeat with the remaining 2 slices of bread and cheese.
- Cut the grilled cheese sandwiches into quarters and then quarter again. The cubes should be about 1 – 2 inches wide.
- Pile the cubed sandwiches onto a platter.
- To serve the soup, ladle into serving bowls and garnish each with a dollop of sour cream. Sprinkle with the chopped cilantro and serve along with the grilled cheese sandwiches.