Field Trip to the Museum
Let's head out to the museum in search of inspiration… Inspiration prompting your child to create their own museum.
- Let's start by gathering a collection to be displayed. A collection could be themed like "All about the Sea" to include sea shells, shark tooth, sand dollar, postcard of a sea scene and photograph of family vacationing on the seashore. Or it could simply be "My Favorite Things" to include an action figure, an unusual rock, a pine cone, a skeleton key and a lucky penny.
- Your child may wish to create pieces for their own museum inspired by a trip to the local museum. Make a fossil by pressing a sea shell into air-drying clay. Make a kachina doll using a clothespin, feathers and a marker.
- Make information cards for each item to be displayed. Include item's name or title, medium, and date of origin indicated by "c." to make it official, for example: c. 2006.
- Display the items so that your visitors may easily view each.
- Want to take the show on the road? Have your child set up their museum in a wagon. Fill it part way with sand to safely hold the items and their signs. Then off they go to wow the neighbors with their collected treasures!
See more crafts and activities from from Courtney's 'Possibility Shop'