Connect with Your Community
How does THE LION KING connect with your world?
"Because theatre is about connections, it's about the audience connecting with what is happening on stage. If you can't close that link in the chain, you don't have a piece of theatre." — Thomas Schumacher (from The Lion King: Pride Rock on Broadway)
- Attend a performance by a local African Dance troupe.
- Volunteer to clean up your local park.
- Visit a zoo and create puppets or masks or act out the animals you see.
- Invite someone from South Africa, another African nation, or someone who has been to Africa to address your class.
- The sometimes rocky relationship between siblings is something that runs through literature and history. Compare the relationship between Mufasa and Scar with other warring siblings, from the Bible to Shakespeare to modern day.
- Even if we lie in a city, we're still faced with the natural world every day. Make a list of all the animals you observe during a single day. How are animals part of your "Circle of Life"?
Photo by Joan Marcus, Copyright Disney Theatrical Productions