As the royal henchman, Sir Hiss is always a step ahead of the temperamental Prince John, though he rarely gets credit for his astute observations. In fact, his advice is routinely ignored. Rest assured that will not be the case with this reptilian replica. Coil it on a windowsill or tabletop, or drape it over the arm of a chair, and it's guaranteed to get your family's attention on April Fools' Day.
- Hammer and nail
- 2 yards braided nylon rope (sold by the foot at home building and hardware stores) *
- Green acrylic craft paint
- Synthetic sponge and/or paintbrush
- Green floral cloth wire
- Hot glue gun
- Glue dots
- 2 tiny faux gems (for the snake's nostrils)
- Small piece of red craft wire or pipe cleaner
* The rope shown here is 5/16 inch thickInstructions:
1. Use the hammer and nail to tap a hole in the top and bottom of the cork. The cork will serve as the snake's head and the holes will be used later for attaching the rope body and tongue.
2. Paint the rope and the cork green (note: a sponge works well for painting the rope).
3. When the paint is dry (it shouldn't take long), fold the rope in half. Bend a floral wire 2 inches from one end and tightly twist the bent portion around the fold in the rope, as shown.
4. Hot glue the rope ends together, carefully pressing the long end of the wire down into the glue. Add another floral wire at the end of the first one, slightly overlapping the tips. Glue the rope tail ends together well, using scissors to taper them a bit first, if you like.
5. Insert the wire at the head of the rope into the hole in the wide end of the cork.
6. For hypnotic snake eyes, use bits of glue dots to stick different size sequins atop one another, as shown. Then stick the eyes to the sides of the cork.
7. Press mini faux gems onto the tip of the cork for nostrils (or you can simply draw on nostrils with a fine-tipped marker). For a tongue, bend a short length of red craft wire or a red pipe cleaner in half and insert the bend into the hole in the mouth end of the cork.
8. Now coil and pose the snake however you like and place him in a spot where he's sure to be discovered by unsuspecting family members.