Woody's Lasso Valentine
Any one of Andy's toys will attest that Woody can be very persuasive when he puts his mind to it. Inspired by the charming cowboy, this whimsical card features a heart-shaped lasso designed to spur on your child's valentine of choice.
- Template for Woody's Lasso Valentine
- Craft or scrapbook paper (blue, brown, and tan or orange)
- 8.5- by 11-inch sheet of cardstock folded in half for the card
- Black marker
- Glue stick
- Glue dots
- Red cord and thread
- Paper clip
- Small red sticker heart or heart-shaped sequin
- Small red faux gem
1. Print the template and use the pieces to cut out a blue pant leg and a brown boot.
2. Use the marker to color a black heel and sole on the boot shape. Then create a boot pull loop by folding a 3/8- by 1-inch piece of brown paper in half over the boot top and gluing it in place, as shown.
3. For bootstraps, cut two 1/8-inch-wide strips from tan or orange paper. Glue the vertical strip in place first, as shown, folding the bottom around the bottom of the boot and sticking it to the back. Attach the horizontal strap in the same way, overlapping the top of the vertical strap and covering the stub where the "spur" will attach.
4. Glue the boot onto the bottom of the leg. Then use glue dots to stick the upper leg, knee, and ankle (but not the boot itself) to the face of the card, lining up the top of the leg with the upper corner of the cardstock, as shown in the photo above.
5. Tie a lasso knot (or a slip knot) at one end of the cord and then feed the other end through the loop to create a lasso. Pinch together the top of the loop to resemble the upper half of a heart and tie string around it to hold the shape (using a paper clip to temporarily secure the cord will make it easier).
6. Slip the lasso heart around the boot (the cord should go under the leg and over the front of the boot), and use bits of glue dots to hold it in place. Attach the heart-shaped spur and faux gem buckle to the bootstraps.
7. Now your child can write a valentine message, such as Rounding You Up to be My Valentine or You're My Sole Mate. Or he can use your home computer to print a greeting to glue in place.