Use colorful kitchen sponges to create this school of Finding Nemo-inspired fish. Kids will love using aquarium nets to go bobbing for their favorite movie characters -- like Dory, Peach and Nemo.
You'll need:For the sponges:
- Template for Bobbing for Nemo
- Clean, new sponges in orange, blue and pink
- Printable template
- Ice bucket or drink tub
- Aquarium nets
1. Print and cut out the templates.
2. Use templates to trace shapes onto clean, new sponges. This works best when sponges are still damp from their packaging. Note: Tracing is a good task for preschoolers working on their hand-eye coordination.
3. Grown-up's job: Use scissors to cut fish shapes from sponges.
4. For Sponge Painting: Use sponges to re-create Finding Nemo art. Have kids dip sponges in paint and then press them onto blue construction paper, creating their own under-the-sea scene.
5 For Bath Time: Have fun in the tub with your Nemo friends. Give kids clean, new aquarium sponges and let them try to catch the floating sponges.
6 For Party Time: Drop sponges into a tub of water. Have kids take turns using aquarium nets to fish out their favorite sponges. Aquarium nets come in a variety of sizes; have kids try catching all of the sponges in a big net, or have them try to grab one sponge in a small net. After the party, guests can take sponges home as favors. Safety note: Grown-ups should always monitor children when playing with water.