Minnie's Witch Hat
Here's a Halloween heads up for Minnie fans: any costume looks better with polka dots. Topped with a pair of distinctive mouse ears and tied with a spotted bow, this classic witch hat is a colorful case in point.
- Template for Minnie's Witch Hat
- 2 sheets of black poster board
- Glue dots
- Large round object to trace around (such as a pizza stone, or something else approximately 15 inches in diameter)
- Polka-dotted ribbon
1. Print out the template and cut out the pieces. Tape the top and bottom pieces of the quarter circle together, so that the straight edges overlap.
2. Place the quarter circle template atop a sheet of black poster board, as shown. Trace around the curved edge of the quarter circle (tip: using a white colored pencil will make the tracing more visible).
3. Flip over the template piece and again trace around the curve to complete the outline of a semicircle.
4. Cut out the semicircle, and roll it into a cone to fit your child's head, securing the overlapped edges with glue dots.
5. To create the hat brim, place a pizza stone or other large circular object atop the second sheet of poster board and trace around it. Cut out the tracing.
6. Center the cone atop the poster board circle. Trace around the cone.
7. Cut a smaller circle out of the center of the traced circle, and then cut a series of notches extending to the trace line, as shown.
8. Fit the cone over the tabs and then glue the tabs to the inner cone, as shown.
9. Use glue dots to attach a polka-dotted ribbon hatband around the base of the cone. Then top the band with a bow.
10. Now make the ears. For each one, first overlap the paper on the sides of the slit between the lower tabs and use glue dots to secure the shape. Then fold back the tabs, as shown.
11. Glue the ears to the hat, attaching the upper tabs to the cone and the lower tabs to the brim.