Timothy's Toothbrush Painting
When Dumbo needs a bath, Timothy uses an old toothbrush to scrub Dumbo's ears. Help your preschooler find a new job for an out-of-service toothbrush -- by using it as a paintbrush.
- Newspaper, for covering your work surface
- Clean toothbrushes
- Paper plate
- Tempera paints
- Construction paper
- Freezer paper
- Masking tape
1. Protect your work surface with newspaper.
2. Squirt 2 or 3 paint colors onto a paper plate.
3. Dip the brush bristles in the paint and brush onto the construction paper. Talk to preschoolers about the texture of the paint, and the patterns that the different bristles make. See what happens when you mix the colors.
4. For a fun twist, create stencils using freezer paper. Cut a variety of shapes out of the freezer paper. Tape freezer paper stencils onto construction paper using masking tape. Let kids brush over the stencils. Lift off the freezer paper to reveal colorful shapes! Let your preschooler identify the shapes and colors -- try squares, circles and triangles.