Piled into a glass bin, the promotional space toys at Pizza Planet are ever hopeful that "The Claw" will choose them to go on to a better place. Such is the luck for three of the little aliens when the restaurant truck they're stowed in is hijacked by Andy's toys in order to follow Woody's kidnapper to the airport. After saving the trio from flying out the window during the chase, Mr. Potato Head takes them home where he and his wife adopt them. Here's how you can help your child round up an extraterrestrial pal (or three) of his own.
- Three-eyed Alien Pal template
- Straight pins (for pinning the template pieces to the felt)
- Felt (lime green, light blue, dark blue, and purple)
- Pipe cleaners (green and any other color you like)
- Handful of quilt batting (polyester fiberfill) or other material for stuffing the alien
- 3 googly eyes
- Green yarn
1. Print the template and cut out the pieces to use as patterns. Cut the pieces from felt as specified on the template.
2. Glue the feet cutouts one atop the other to create a double thickness. Likewise, use the hand cutouts to create two double-thick hands.
3. Glue each hand to the end of a sleeve piece. Then top each arm with a 2 1/4-inch length of pipe cleaner, as shown, and glue on a second sleeve piece.
4. Glue the feet and the arms to one of the body pieces.
5. Apply a line of glue along the curved edge of the body, going right over the upper edge of the feet. Do not apply glue to the straight edge at the top (you'll need this open to stuff the body later). Set the second body piece on top and press the edges together so they'll stick. Set the body aside for now.
6. Next, shape the alien's ears by applying a drop of glue to the lower center of each cut out and then folding the felt in half.
7. For the antenna, coil the top of a 3-inch length of green pipe cleaner. Glue the bottom of the antenna and the ears to the head, as shown.
8. Set the second head piece atop the first and glue the edges together, leaving an opening at the top. Stuff the head with a little bit of quilt batting and then glue the opening shut. Now fill the body with quilt batting.
9. Fit the very lower edge of the head into the opening at the top of the body and glue it in place.
10. Glue the collar strip around the neck, overlapping the ends in the back. Glue the belt around the belly in the same way.
11. Finally, glue on the eyes and add a mouth by knotting the ends of a short piece of yarn and gluing it in place.