With their colorful flowery hats and curly locks, these fairy dolls will be the hit of the party. You can make a bunch of them ahead of time so they're ready to play with when the guests arrive. Or you can turn the craft into a party activity by pre-painting the spoons and providing all the other parts for the kids to pick and choose from. Then all you have to do is glue the chosen pieces together for them.
- Wooden spoons
- Craft paints
- Foam brushes
- Colored pencils or permanent markers
- False eyelashes* (sold in the cosmetic aisle at supermarkets and pharmacies)
- Craft glue
- Curly yarn
- Silk flowers
*One pair of false eyelashes is enough for three dolls. If you can't find any or you prefer not to use them, you can simply use a colored pencil or fine-tipped permanent marker to draw on eyelashes.Instructions:
1. Paint the wooden spoon handles green and the spoon bowls a skin tone.
2. Once the paint is dry, lightly pencil facial features onto the concave side of each spoon. Color in the features, and glue on short lengths cut from a false eyelash.
|3. Next, make a wig for each doll by winding yarn into a dozen or more large coils (the coils shown here measure about 12 inches from end to end) and then binding the center of the bunch with another piece of yarn, as shown.|
|4. Hot glue the yarn wig to the top and back of the spoon.|
|5. Next, apply a generous amount of hot glue to the center of a silk flower. Immediately press the doll's head firmly down onto the flower center and hold it in place for a few seconds while the glue hardens.|
6. Tie a ribbon "scarf" around the flower fairy's neck.