Cruella DeVille Costume
Cruella is wearing a black sheath style gown embellished with snow white feathers at the neck and hem. She accessorizes with red glittery earrings, red glittery shoes, red gloves, and naturally a dalmatian-spotted treat bag. She also wears a feathery "wig." The dress was made for an 18-month old child. It is an 18-24 month size.
Prep Time: 2 hours
- 1 1/2 yards of black satin
- 1/2 yard of red satin
- 1/2 yard of spotted flannel
- Clip-on earrings (We got ours from Grandma!)
- 1 black feather boa
- 1 set of black and white elastic arm band boas
- Red glitter
- Hot glue
- Tacky glue
- 2 hair clips
- Red thread
- Black thread
- White thread
- 2 white feather boas
- Red glittery shoes from Target
- I created a sheath style dress by simply measuring my daughter from shoulder to foot.
- I then took the black satin and folded into a long rectangle (right sides together).
- I cut a head hole at the fold.
- I sewed from the bottom until about four inches from the top (head hole).
- I hemmed the bottom about one inch from the floor. I turned inside out.
- I then stitched two rows of white boa feathers at the neck and at the hem of the dress. I tried using my sewing machine to sew feathers but it jammed several times so I wound up sewing them by hand. Simple whip stitches around the feathers every two inches was sufficient. I went around about three times for each stitch before moving over about two inches.
- I created the gloves by cutting a rectangle shape the length of my daughter's arm by the width of her arm times two. It was about 6 inches by four inches.
- I hemmed each short end of the rectangle about 1/4 inch. I then folded right sides together and sewed a seam about 1/4 inch.
- I made the bag using a peice of fabric 36 inches by 14 inches. I folded in half the long way, right sides together and stitched a half inch seam on each side.
- I then added handles at the top and stitched the black feather boa around the edge.
- I made the "wig" by simply hot gluing each feather arm band to a hair clip.
- I made the earrings by dipping a pair of round clip-on earrings into tacky glue and then red glitter.
- The shoes were purchased at Target.