Little Princess Belle Costume
It's Belle from Beauty and the Beast!
Prep Time: Approximately 9 hours
- Costume pattern
- Bright yellow satin, approx. 5 yards for the gown
- 2 1/4 yards pale yellow lining for the slip
- 1 yard of crinoline
- Velcro (to open/close the gown and make it easier for her to play in it)
- Lay out pattern on the material.
- I cut the bodice first. To save time, I doubled the material and then laid the pattern piece for the skirt/bottom portion of the gown then cut out this piece(s).
- After sewing/closing the sides of the skirt, I threaded mid-way to pull for vertical gatherings. (I tightened from both ends with thread because of length of gown.) I then knotted & tacked thread in place.
- Next, I laid out and cut the slip liner & stitched together since this was very simple and straightforward.
- After sewing the slip, I sewed the sides of the bodice. To save time, by laying the bodice right sides together & laying the slip shoulders in between & sewing together, the shoulders will have a smooth seam.
- Then, tacked the crinoline to the skirt and then sewed/attached the bodice to the skirt followed by attaching the drape piece and the rose to the bodice.
- Lastly, sewed the velcro the length of the opening in the back and hemmed the gown. I kept a large hem so that I could let it down as she grew.
My niece loves the costume and still plays with it!