Witch Minnie Mouse Costume
When I went to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party last year I decided that I wanted something distinctly Disney while still a little ghoulish. I decided to make a Minnie Mouse witch hat.
Prep Time: 30 minutes to 1 hour
- 1 store bought witch hat
- About 1 yard of black furry fabric (depending on how big you want the ears)
- 2 Styrofoam plates
- Something circular to trace (I found that teacup saucers worked well)
- Chalk or other light colored marker to trace with
- 1 yard red polka dot ribbon (wire edged works best)
- 1 yard of elastic for optional neck strap (can't having it flying off on the rides!)
- Needle and thread
- Trace four circles (with chalk or other marker that will show) on the back of the black fabric with large flaps on one side of each circle.
- Pin circles together, fuzzy side to fuzzy side with flaps matching up.
- Sew the circles together, leaving the flaps open.
- Trace 2 circles into the Styrofoam plates and cut them out.
- Flip the fabric circles inside out and carefully slip the Styrofoam circles inside without snapping them.
- Cut slits into the side of the witch hat approximately the size of the flaps on the fabric circles.
- Insert tabs into slits and sew closed.
- Fashion a bow out of the polka dot ribbon and sew on the front of the hat.
- Put a small stitch in the bottom of the ear to secure it to the brim of the hat, otherwise the ears will flop about willy nilly.
- Measure out the elastic strap for comfort and stitch to either side of the hat (it's usually more comfortable to have enough room to tuck the strap behind the ears.)
Voila! You have a Minnie Mouse witch hat!