Neverland Gang Costume
Tinker Bell, Captain Hook, Peter Pan, and Tiger Lily all inhabit Neverland! (Tinker Bell and Peter Pan are purchased costumes.)
Prep Time: Over 10 hours
- Pirate hat
- Band of fabric
- Package of black curly doll hair
- Pattern for a long jacket with contrasting front panel
- 2 1/2 yards dark red velvet (see pattern for exact amt.)
- 1/2 yard dark gold velvet
- 2 1/2 yards black lining
- 3 yards gold cord trim
- 2 large and 4 small gold buttons
- 6 x 12 scrap of white fabric
- 4 yards of 3-4 inch lace
- 1 foot of 1/4 inch elastic
- 2 velcro dots
- Black shoes
- Gold craft foam
- Plastic sword
- Black pants, white knee socks, pink t-shirt
- Safety pins
- Black makeup pencil
- 1/2 yard blue ultrasuede
- 8 inches of 1/4 inch elastic
- White feather
- Red permanent marker
- 4 velcro dots
- One pair white moccasins
- Pattern for an Indian dress
- One roll of 1 inch orange and pink ribbon
- 3 yards of tan ultrasuede
- Hat & Hair: Cut a piece of fabric 2 inches wide, and as long as the hat band circumference plus 1/2 inch. Fold it right sides together and sew. Turn it right side out to form a band and sew the end closed. Sew the black curly hair all around the band. Pin the band inside the hat and trim the bangs with scissors.
- Jacket: Sew the jacket according to directions except leave off any trim. After adding the gold contrast, sew the gold cord trim on the seam between the gold and the red. Add two small buttons to each cuff and the two large buttons above the vent in the back of the jacket. Using remaining gold fabric cut 2 pieces 4 inches by 36 inches. Sew together to make a 72 inch piece. Fold right sides together and sew lengthwise. Turn right side out. Attach the rough ends making a loop. Sew an extra seam 3 inches in from the end of the loop to make a second loop to hold the sword.
- Jabot & Cuffs: Cut 2 pieces of elastic, measuring a wrist circumference plus 1 inch. Sew the edge of the lace to the elastic, stretching while sewing. Sew the 2 ends of the elastic together forming a bracelet. Repeat for other wrist. Cut 2 1-inch by 12-inch strips of white fabric. Turn inside out and sew lengthwise. Turn right side out to form bands. Cut a 3 x 5 piece of white fabric. Divide the remaining lace into 3 equal pieces. Shirr each piece and space evenly making three rows of lace on the fabric rectangle. Sew one of the bands to each side of the top of the lace. Measure to choker length. Sew ends and add Velcro.
- Shoes: Cut large buckles from the craft foam. Above the hole in the middle of the buckle make two small slits. Thread the shoe lace through the holes to secure. If the shoes have no laces tape the buckles on.
- Pants: Roll the pants up to just below the knees and secure with safety pins.
- Face: Draw a menacing mustache with the makeup pencil.
- Boots: Fashion 6 high boot shanks for a rectangle of the ultrasuede. (Sew a cylinder larger than your calf). Fold down the top edge 1 inch and stitch. Sew a 3-4 inch piece of 1/4 inch elastic on the bottom edge under the arch. Put on the shank and then white moccasins.
- Belt: Cut a 4-inch by waist measurement (plus 2 inches) strip of blue ultrasuede. Fold in half lengthwise, right sides together. Sew. Turn right side out. Tuck in ends and sew. Add Velcro to secure closed.
- Headband: Follow directions above except use a strip of blue ultrasuede that is 2 inches by head circumference plus 2 inches. Once finished, cut two small slits in the back to secure feather. Color the top section of a white feather red and stick in the headband.
- Dress: Follow directions for an Indian dress in the pattern but substitute two rows of ribbon along the front fringe for any other trim on the dress.