Say you're a beast whose castle is the ideal venue for hosting a Halloween masquerade. What would you wear? Here's a fabulous disguise inspired by the furry mammals that haunt the tower. Made of lightweight craft foam, this bat mask is designed to sit on your child's nose in perfect position for him to peer over the outstretched wings.
- Beastly Bat Mask template
- Black craft foam
- Glue dots
- 2 small faux gems (for eyes)
- Thin black sewing elastic
- Print and cut out the template. Place it atop a piece of black craft foam and trace around all the edges except for the flip line. Then flip the template, keeping the center lined up, and trace around it again to create the second half of the bat. Cut out the tracing.
- Use pieces of a glue dot to stick the faux gems in place for the bat's eyes.
- With the pushpin, make a pair of small holes in the foam about 1 1/2 inches above the third wing tip from the left. Make a matching set of holes in the right wing.
- Thread the ends of an 18-inch length of black sewing elastic up from the underside of the foam through the holes closest to the center and back down through the nearby holes. Trim the elastic to fit your child's head (it should drape over the tops of his ears) and knot the ends to keep them from pulling back through the foam.