Inspired by the movie: High School Musical
High School Musical fans will have a ball trying their hand at this creative paper decorating technique. Using a round foam sponge, they can stamp bright orange basketballs on a roll of craft paper and then use it to cover their textbooks in sporty jackets.
- Roll of plain brown or white craft paper or wrapping/mailing paper
- Orange craft paint
- Round foam sponge, about 3 inches wide
- Scrap paper
- Small paintbrush or permanent orange marker
- Black permanent marker
1. Cover your work surface with newspaper. Cut a large sheet from the craft or wrapping paper and place it on the newspaper, using tape to hold the corners down if needed.
2. Pour some paint into the container. Have your child press the sponge into the paint so that the surface is evenly coated and then use it to stamp orange basketball circles on scrap paper. Once he gets the hang of it, he can decorate the craft paper with a single basketball or a whole bunch of randomly placed basketballs. If some of the edges turn out a bit blotchy, you can simply use the paintbrush or orange marker to touch them up.
|3. When the paint has thoroughly dried, use the marker to draw lines on the basketballs, following one of the three patterns shown here. Finally, add a dotted bounce line if the design calls for it, and the paper is ready to turn into a decorative schoolbook cover.|