If you're in the market for a magic carpet, you'll probably want one that will go wherever your child's imagination takes her — and this one fits the bill. With pipe cleaners sandwiched between the felt layers, she can shape the carpet into all kinds of animated poses. And when her journey's over, she can bring it in for a landing on the dinner table to serve as a coaster for a glass of milk or a cup of hot chocolate.
- Felt (three colors)
- Pipe cleaner
- Hot glue or tacky glue
- Cotton yarn or embroidery floss
- 4 beads
1. Cut out three different colored felt rectangles in the following sizes: 4- by 5 1/2-inches, 3 1/2- by 5-inches, 3- by 4 1/2-inches.
2. Cut two 4-inch lengths from the pipe cleaner and glue them atop the largest felt rectangle, setting them about 1/2 inch in from the edges, as shown.
|3. Next, cut 12 8-inch lengths from the cotton yarn or embroidery floss. Divide them into groups of three and knot each group in the center to make a tassel. Glue the tassel knots to the corners of the felt near the ends of the pipe cleaners.|
4. Center the second rectangle atop the first. Glue it in place, covering the pipe cleaners and tassel knots. Now glue the third rectangle atop the second one.
5. Tightly twist together the ends of each tassel and thread them through a bead. Slide the bead up to the corner of the felt and secure it in place with a small dab of glue (a toothpick comes in handy for this). Unravel the thread strands to make the tassels fuller, and then trim the ends a couple of inches below the beads.